Mga Sumasampalataya

Jul 30, 2009

A TOYS STORY

I really don't have anything in mind to write right now so I thought, why not revisit my childhood just like other bloggers have been doing the past few weeks/days. I'm an only child so sometimes, if I make lambing to my parents, I usually get what I ask for.

So I listed some of my favorite toy series, which until after I graduated from college I still played with. Usually having them wrestle each other.


DINO RIDERS
I loved the cartoons back then, but I loved the toy series even more. I didn't get the big dinosaurs like the T-Rex or Diplodocus or Brontosaurus no matter how big the tantrums I made back then. Good thing though, I have rich neighbors who had some of the dinos. So usually, we play with each other to have more Dinos and to create a story. This actually got me fascinated with dinosaurs for a time. These were the types of toys where you're cool in school if you own one.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES
What little boy who grew up back in the 90's didn't have at least one toy from this show. They're probably the coolest thing to come out of that era. I had four. I remember loving this because I liked seeing the toys that I had on tv. I often brag to my friends that my toys are often seen on tv (Wingnut and Leatherhead). I know I still have some of these toys, I just don't know where I placed it.
GI JOE
The other toy that no kid did not have during my time was GI Joe. I didn't have much of these because they easily get stolen. I don't know why I enjoyed playing these toys as most of them can't even hold the guns that come with the toy. When I had my 7th birthday, alot of the gifts I received were GI Joes. Unfortunately I only got to keep 2 of those. Like I said, most of it got stolen. I remember having Bazooka, Duke and Destro.
VISIONARIES
This was one of my favorite cartoons back when I was in 4th grade. So when I saw these action figures being sold on one of the stalls in our school's plaza, I sort of freaked out. It was one of the things I wanted to have right away. You see, during those times holograms were cool. Pictures are different when you point it at the sun, sort of like 3D as well. It was one of those toys that aren't really that expensive, but you'll have to work really hard so your parents will be forced to give it to you as a reward.
PLAY DOH
I was not really creative as a child. But these were the toys back then that were in. Your classmates usually bring one can of these things every Friday to play with after or during classes. It's clay, so you can form literally anything that you could imagine. I had the burger shop set, so I was able to form cabbage leaves, tomatoes, pickles and whatever it is that you put on a sandwich bun. The funny thing about it is that it's the best way for everyone to know who among our classmates are circumcised and who's not.
LEGO
These things made me realize how much I needed to learn about following instructions. The first time I got a box of Lego when I was a kid, it took me one whole month to form the robot that it was supposed to have been modeled from. I didn't know which block to put on top of the other. Although, I was good at creating a human head, complete with a mouth that opens. My parents hated these toys mostly because I don't clean up after my mess and they usually step on those blocks.
GHOSTBUSTERS
I only had Egon Spengler for a toy back in grade school. But I think, that this was one of the most creative action figures that I've ever seen even til now. Monsters would transform from ordinary people. A ghostbuster action figure can change from a normal guy to what he'd look like when he sees a ghost. It's just a fun toy. Oh yeah, and the cartoon was great too. I remember crying when ABS-CBN showed the last episode of the original series. They even showed other kids saying goodbye to the beloved tv show.
HE-MAN
I liked He-Man. I think when I was a kid, I had most of what the franchise was selling. The coloring books, the story books, the action figures, his sword. I think Grayskull was one of my ultimate wishlist to Santa Clause. I envied my neighbor who had He-Man's tiger, while I only have Man-o-War (or is it Man-of-arms?). My rich kid neighbor had He-Man and I so wanted to steal it and keep it somewhere only I could play with it (which I almost did). Only thing that kept me from doing so was the fact that if I get caught, I won't be able to play with his family computer forever. But I really wanted to keep it for myself.
Yeah, being a kid back in those days is really cool.

32 comments:

Kosa said...

kakainggit ka naman parekoy..
andami mong laruan..lolz

ako LEGO lang ang meron sa mga yan... nwawala pa yung ilang piraso...waaaaaahhhh

gillboard said...

brat ako noong bata ako.. nilalambing ko lang yung tatay kong ocw noon kaya ako nagkaroon niyan.. siguro kung nagkaroon ako ng kapatid, baka di ko rin matitikman yang mga laruan na yan.

Skron said...

Except for Ghostbusters, I have a lot of these toys too, and I still have most of them to this date. Although I only have two Dino-Riders (Pteranodon and Kentrosaurus).

And it's Man-At-Arms (I didn't have this toy).

an_indecent_mind said...

di ako lumaki sa magagarang laruan...

pero naranasan kong maglaro ng gagamba, pinitpit na tansan, lastiko (goma), kaha ng yosi, holen, yung mga free sa chiz curls (kamay na dumidikit at gomang lumalaki kapag ibinabad sa tubig) LOL

The Lady in Green Ruffles said...

wow, daming toys! spoiled

DRAKE said...

Ang yaman mo naman, meron ka nyang nung bata ka. Ako nga lata ng gatas at tansan lang ang laruan ko! Bata ka palang totyal ka na!

Grabe naalala ko yang visinonaries na yan. Paborito kong palabas yan nung bata!!!

Ingat pre

EǝʞsuǝJ said...

napaisip tuloy ako kung babae ba ko o lalake...

hahaha
kase majority ng nabanggit mong laruan eh mga laruan ko din dati...
may laruan pa nga akong transformers...
nyahahaha....
pero pinakapaborito ko ang teenage mutant ninja turtles..

lalu na si michael angelo..
hahaha...

gillboard said...

Drake: yup... yan lang noon napapanood ko na yung bida yung lagi talo kaya gusto ko yan...

ruffles: di naman...

Badong said...

panagarap kong magka-play doh! kaso ordinaryong clay lang binibili sakin. hehe. tas pag wala akongmapag-tripan, yung mga pigurion namin yung gagamitin ko

gillboard said...

jen: ok lang yan... mga kalaro ko din naman dati dito ilan dun babae... pero di sila tibo ngayon... di yata lahat... hehehe

indecent mind: uy ako din.. lumaki sa libreng laruan ng chickadees at cheez rings...

skron: i knew it's man-at-arms... minali lang ako ng katrabaho ko...

Anonymous said...

salamat sa mga kamag-anak kong nasa tate at naranasan ko rin malaro ang ilan sa mga laruang nabanggit mo.

sarap balikan ng pagkabata ano?

Anonymous said...

salamat sa mga kamag-anak kong nasa tate at naranasan ko rin malaro ang ilan sa mga laruang nabanggit mo.

sarap balikan ng pagkabata ano?

EngrMoks said...

namiss ko tuloy yung mga LEGO ko noong bata pa ako..ngayon wala na kahit isang piraso...

Iriz said...

toys satisfy the psychological needs of a child. good thing you got a lot. buti di ka nahilig kay barbie. lol.


nice post gillboard! :)

Boris said...

my parents don't buy me those kind of toys. dunno. but anyway i love watching them on television. TMNT, GI JOE, GHOSTBUSTERS (especially the new version) and He-Man (oh? where's Sheera? lols)

I love playing Play Doh. hahaha circumcision XD

Lego's rock!!!

Boris said...

wow you gave me inspiration to post something related to this. thanks :)

Anonymous said...

aw this is so cool! naks at only child ka pala. i guess isa ito sa perks ng pagiging unico hijo. i think men never outgrow their toys. isa pa pag action figures nagkakavalue habang tumatagal diba?

Raft3r said...

ang paborito ko noon ay yun centurions
=)
saka voltron
syempre crush na crush ko naman si she-ra

poging (ilo)CANO said...

play doh! takteng yan. kinain ko kaya yan dati kasi nagutom ako habang naglalaro...hhe

Superjaid said...

wow daming toys..medyo spoiled din ako nun dahil panganay ako, kaso syempre dahil gurl ako, barbie (na wala ng ulo ngayon at hubo), luto lutuan atbp..ay!may lego din pala ako dati kaso wala ng natira, ngapla pinagbabawal na ang lego ngayon..kasi hazardous sa mga bata kapag isinubo..Ü

Chyng said...

isa ka sigurong spoiled na bata, gaganda ng laruan mo! ;D

MkSurf8 said...

parang gusto rin halughugin yung mga laruan ko nun? kaka miss. =(

Mugen said...

Weeeeh!! May matchbox naman ako. Isang collection rin siya. Hahaha.

gillboard said...

joms: meron din ako noon, one time lang, meron pa nga akong racetrack... kaya lang mas gusto ko nu laruin mga tao kesa kotse.. hehe

mksurf8: yeah... hinanap ko nga rin kanina kung san nakalagay yung toybag ko...

chyng: hindi naman... di ako spoiled... hindi talaga...

jaid: kaya pala di nako masyado nakakakita ng lego ngayon...

gillboard said...

pogi: natikman ko rin yan noong bata ako.. mapakla...

rafter: ako din... meron ako kaklase na kumpleto laruan nun... gusto ko nga nakawin din yun.. kaso naunahan ako.. hehehe

prinsesa: yup.. kaya lang di nako nagcocollect nyan.. mahal..

boris: sige, post mo lang yung ipopost mo.. ill read it.. and yeah, Lego Rocks!!!

gillboard said...

iriz: si barbie lagi kinikiss si black barbie... hehehe

moks: oks lang yan.. ako rin naman...

kuri: oo nga eh... ikaw marerelive mo yan pag lumaki na ng kaunti si Lilo... hehehe

badong: pag may school project kami, regular na clay din lang linalaro ko.. kasi OC ako noon pag naghahalo ang kulay ng mga clay ko... hehe

Ron Centeno said...

Buti ka pa pare! Dami mong laru-an ng maliit ka. Yung clay ko non yung totong clay na lupa. Hehehehe!

John Ahmer said...

naku, na mis ko eto, di kse ako mahilig mag laro nung bata ako.... ngayon ko na lng na enjoy ang pag lalaro... hihi

The Pope said...

Sarap balikan ng ating pagkabata, ang ating mga paboritong laruan, it's really wonderful to be a child, having a care free and innocent life, kaya nga si Bro is fond of children.

A blessed weekend my friend.

SEAQUEST said...

Isa lang sa mga yan ang meron ako dati GI joe, bigay lang ng tito ko yun pare-pareho kasi kaming magpipinsan ayun isa na lang natitira wala ng paa...dami mo toys...penge nga...

pusangkalye said...

sayo lahat mga toys na to? mayaman---lol. honestly---collecting toys is a wonderful hobby ---but it also requires aa lot of money-----hehe

The Scud said...

buti ka pa may naisalbang laruan sa kabataan mo. ako wala. tinapon ata ni mama. pati matchboxes namin ng kapatid ko MIA na rin.

panahon ata ng pagrereminisce ngayon. im thinking of blogging about hayskul layp. wala lang. trip. hehe.

happy weekend!